Saturday, October 31, 2009

2009 Halloween Wallhanging Finished

I finished the wallhanging on Wednesday night in time for Halloween. If making this type project again I would punch the holes thru the wallhanging smaller than what the pattern directions said. This was made from a kit I ordered from my Keepsake Quilting catalog. They also have two other kits like this one that are Christmas trees. The tiny rice light wires are white so I used a black Sharpie and colored the ends near the bulbs with black so the light ends don't show up on the front of the wallhanging. I did a free motion stipple stitch on my sewing machine. As in my earlier blog posts I am teaching myself free motion machine quilting. I finally got brave enough to do stippling on this project. The borders and the ground sections I quilted with no problem but when I did the background of the sky my stitches would start skipping and thread breaking. The background has a layer of a fusible product to stablize the backgound for all the embellishings and lights so the glue was gunking up the thread. I started putting some "Sewers Aid" on my machine needle after about every 2-3 inches of stitching and had no problem after that. I am anxious to quilt something else now that is just a normal quilt project with only batting. I am happy with how this wallhanging turned out. It was alot of fun to do.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Halloween Wallhanging

This past weekend I got the borders, batting and backing on my wallhanging. Its all pinned and ready to quilt now.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

2009 Halloween Wallhanging

A couple of weeks ago I started a Halloween wallhanging project. Right now I am about to start working on the cats eyes. I think I will use some rhinestones! I have layed a yardstick along one side to show the size of the project. The tree, stars, moon, jack-o-lanterns and cat are all fabric as well as the pieced background. I fused them all onto the background and then hand stitched all the way around the edges. I was sure glad to finish the tree which took a week of evenings while watching TV. I will share more pictures to show my progress.

Free Motion Quilting News

I ordered two new attachements for my Janome that have helped the look of my free motion machine quilting. One is a new bobbin case and the other a set of quilting feet. It hink I have gotten the stippling design down pretty good now. Next to get brave enough to do this on a real quilt project and not the quilt sandwiches!!