Sunday, June 1, 2008

2008 Crazy Quilt Blocks Project

I've decided to use up all my existing fancy fabric stash making new crazy quilt blocks. So far I've finished piecing about 27 or them. I'm using all fancy fabrics. When I get in the mood to sew on my sewing machine, I make some more cq blocks.
I'm embellishing the seams so far only with embroidery stitches.
I have alot of vintage waxed silk button hole twist thread that I am using do do all the stitching with. I have a huge amount of it in black and then some in red, gold and burgandy. The thread was sold on the internet by the lot and no choice of colors. I took a chance and got it. Since the thread is vintage and so nice I decided it had to be put to good use in this crazy quilt project.
This thread has always been my favorite thread to stitch with. The blocks are 10 x 10 and hopefully I will have enough for a copule quilt large tops. I've decided to try to piece some of the blocks in just light fabrics so as to make one quilt top in just the light blocks. When using the darker fabrics I'm not being particular about what fabrics I'm using on them. Some have some lights pieces in them. I've take a pictures to show the darker blocks, the light blocks and close-ups of the some of the stitching.





2 comments:

Judith said...

Hi Mary, these are looking fabulous, are you making them for your bed and are you going to embellish them further or just with stitching? The thread sounds divine. I would be a bit scared to use up all my fabrics unless or fourse I was going to get more!!! Lol
Judith

Mary said...

Thanks Judith!
I'm making these for beds and intend on the darker blocks to just do embroider on the seams.
Might add a few motifs here and there but keep it simple. Not sure about the light blocks at this time.
If I use up all the fabrics I have now........it will mean getting to start a new collection! lol

Mary