Sunday, September 7, 2008

2005 Art Bra






In 2004 was asked by my good friend Vickie http://www.itsonlyribbon.blogspot.com/
to create an Art Bra to be donated and photographed to be published in the 2005 Way to Women's Wellness Art Bra Calendar http://www.wtww.org/calendar_bras.htm .
Vickie furnished real bra's for the project and I was to come up with an idea for my bra creation using fibers. I had no idea what I was going to do! After a few weeks of thought I decided to pursue this challenge with my love of crazy quilting. I crazy patched various colors of vintage velvet fabric right over the front of the bra cups after taking the bra apart for easier sewing which was all done by hand.
I embellished all the pieced seams with my favorite feather stitch using embroidery thread and then added stitched beads over the seams. I added silk ribbon embroidery, crochet, tatting and charms as additional embellishings.
I was lucky to find gold buckles at my local fabric store to replace to original bra strap hardware with. My final touch to my bra was a silk wire ribbon brooch I had made several years earlier.
My finished Art Bra was actually a wearable bra and I was very satisfied with it. I crazyquilted the bra cups and then lined the bra with satin fabric. I named my bra "My Crazy Blooming Bosom". I was thrilled when I found out that my bra was chosen for the calendar and my bra was the picture featured for December. We also were asked to make up a short story to go with our bra. All the bras along with their stories can be seen on the website
http://www.wtww.org/calendar_bras.htm.















No comments: